Sunday, September 16, 2007

On nothing in particular...

I begin this post 6 minutes before the end of the weekend. Even though I've (obviously) been thinking about The Sound and the Fury all weekend, I'm not quite sure what to say, aside that I'm looking forward to the guidance counselor meeting tomorrow in class.

Now that I've encouragingly prefaced this blog post, taking up much more space than necessary, I'll begin. This will be my reflection on the class discussion from Friday that I wasn't there for.

" Time is omnipotent, but when on something as small as a watch is seems irrelevant and insignificant."
Maybe this person had a really good rationalization, but I disagree. I wouldn't say that time is omnipotent. I actually wouldn't say that time had any power at all. People get "caught up" in time because they become preoccupied with it. They think that they must follow a rigid schedule. They trap themselves in time. Eh, now that I think about it, time must have some power. Still, it can never manipulate anything. It can never control anything. Excuse this bazaar analogy...time is kinda like a spider web. The web has no power. Yet it is quite easy to get caught up in it. Time should have no power over Quentin, but he spends long enough obsessing over it that he gives it power. A more apt description could be that time is like a drug to which Quentin becomes addicted. Indeed, Quentin even tries to break out of time, and eventually...dies. I also think that time on a watch is certainly not insignificant, especially in Quentin's case. It acts as a constant supply of his drug. He tries to break it, but it still keeps ticking. It is an extremely powerful (for lack of a better word, I guess I haven't made up my mind about time's power) concept all condensed into a small carry-able thing. It has significance to Quentin.

I'll articulate my ideas (hopefully better ideas) more clearly in my next set of 5 posts. Now just past midnight...see you today.

No comments: