Wednesday, November 28, 2007

SAF Rewrite

I decided I should post this writing about writing, too. This is kinda old (about 5 days, I think), so if you're looking for newer stuff, scroll down to my next post.

I didn't think it would be difficult to write about time in The Sound and the Fury, but...it was.

This essay is a *complete* rewrite of the old one. I modeled this draft pretty much off of one comment: "You need to move or extend your discussion of time here to our personal relationship with time and how we use time to create our own meaning." So, the first thing I did was, using my favorite source, Wikipedia, to research time. Obviously, though, what I cover in my essay is far from the entire scope of ideas about time. I learned about the various different perspectives on time from the ideas famous mathematicians (i.e. Newton) and famous physicists (i.e. Einstein) and famous philosophers (i.e. Kant), and then examined the perspective of a particular famous author. This famous author, I noticed wrote The Sound and the Fury from four perspectives with very different views on time. I won't go into that here, however, you'll have to read the essay.

The different perspectives on time are way more complex than I ever could have imagined, and presenting them clearly was the main challenge of my work. I feel that I sacrificed my usual clear, to-the-point voice, but I also think that the voice that replaced it, if occasionally more difficult to follow, is also more sophisticated. I also find myself repeating myself more than usual, but I believe that this was very necessary to establish the progression of my thoughts.

At the end of my first introduction section, I provide the guiding statement of my exploration, how time affects the relationship between events and their interpretations. After that, my essay is divided into a section for each of the four narrators and a concluding section. As Faulkner extends his discussion on time from chapter to chapter, I build my analysis from section to section. This partly calls for a 1-sentence-long summary of the previous section and may account for some of the repetition. But maybe since the reader reads faster than I write, this summary is unnecessary. At this point, I don't think it hinders the effectiveness of the essay.

I believe I add more and more depth to my ideas as the essay develops; my main worry is that I strayed a little too far from where I started. This is only apparent, however, when I read the first paragraph and then the last, not when I read first then second then third, etc. I also think that my essay might begin to come together and make more sense as it progresses.

You were right in saying that I didn't have the time to really develop my ideas fully in the last essay, and I took a ton of time on this essay, maybe more than I have on any other "regular" (non research-paperish) assignment. Reading it over again, sometimes I wish I had more time, but this draft will suffice.

Oh, and I looked up MLA format and decided to use it. I'm not sure if the way I broke up my sections is OK, but I'm pretty sure I did manage to get my name in the right place.

I honestly have no idea where this essay itself is compared to the old one, but I know that my thoughts are at least significantly improved.. Attached are both the new essay and the old one. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

No comments: